Friday, September 19, 2008

Polka Dots and Paw Prints

Weeks like this make me LOVE making cakes.
I always get butterflies in my tummy when making cakes, anticipating how people will respond to it. But this week, it's worse because I am actually invited to the party! This is the first time that I have been invited to a client's party, and this is for a child in my son's preschool class, so I am nervous to see what the other mommies think.
I am so glad that they chose the color turquoise, because it isn't a color you see very often and when you do, it really stands out. She wanted a darker turquoise for the background with lighter blue polka dots, and then a couple of flowers and butterflies. Even I can't help but admit that it is so pretty!
The second polka dot cake I made was for a baby shower for a woman that lives in my neighborhood. I have had this cake saved in my Cake Inspiration folder on the computer for about a year now, and am thrilled to finally complete it.
The fondant is cream with chocolate fondant polka dots. The bows are made from straight fondant, which worked really well. It's a very elegant cake, just perfect for this kind of party. I hope they like it!
Last but not least is this little Puppy Cake. This idea was sent to me through an email, and I have no idea who made the original, but the design is adorable. The puppies are all fondant, as are the paw prints. The letters were done with a special cutter-let me warn you that these cutters are exceptionally difficult to use, so make sure you have plenty of time and patience if you chose to use them. There is a video on You Tube by Aine2 which helped me and made the process a little easier, but I still spent about an hour getting these suckers out of the cutters.
The overall look is perfect though, which definitely makes the whole process worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That blue cake is so beautiful! You are so talented! I love the number on top.

Heather said...

Wow! Cute cakes! I lvoe teh turquoise one!

© Butterfly Sweets. Powered by