Friday, January 9, 2009

The Backyardigan Disco

This was a week for colorful cakes!

First up was this Backyardigans cake that I made for a friend of mine.  It isn't often that I get to make character cakes, but since it was a friend at no charge,  I was able to make this adorable cake.  I just love it-it is a two tiered version of my Over The Top Birthday Cake, but with Backyardigans in place of the butterflies.  She had only requested two of the animals, but I was able to fit in making the rest of them into my schedule, and surprised her with all five.  I am happy to say that I think it made a big difference in the cake to have all of them on there.  Too bad I can't make this for a client!

I also made this Disco Cake for a woman's 40th Birthday Party.  This was a surprise party her husband was throwing her, so all the ordering had to be done covertly.  This was inspired by the Pink Cake Box, and my biggest regret with it is that the background is too dark to see the outlines of the dancers.  However, he really wanted it to be chocolate fondant!  

On the Pink Cake Box Version, the borders were done with just plain ropes of fondant.  This is what I did at first, but as I continued to look at the cake, it just looked off.  Also, the only colors I had done were blue and purple, so it just seemed blah.

When I finally put the disco ball on, it still didn't seem right.  I looked at the clock, saw I had an hour before my customer would be here, and decided at the last second to add on more colors, and change the borders into the signature fondant balls that I almost always use.  I think it made the cake so much brighter and cuter-much more colorful, and the balls always look great!

The disco ball was made from Styrofoam covered in fondant pieces.  I painted it with silver highlighter and vodka.

I received an email telling me the cake was a huge hit, which always makes my day.  I am glad he loved it!


1 comment:

Jen said...

HI,
I would just like to start off by saying...your cakes are beautiful! I just started making cakes in January and people are starting to ask me to make their cakes. Do you have any advice about pricing? I know making cakes are time consuming, so I want to make sure I price right. Besides I'm a stay at home mom and every little bit counts.

Thanks so much!
Jen

© Butterfly Sweets. Powered by