Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Competition Cake Finally Done!

After a terribly tough week last week of dealing with an unusable batch of fondant, I have finally finished my competition cake that was meant to be for the Capital Confectioners Sugar Art Show last weekend. Better late than never! I hand made the sugar pearls and the candied jewels. The bows and tiara are gumpaste, and everything else is Satin Ice. I just wish I could know how it would have done at the competition!
The top tier was done with an impression mat, and then adorned with tiny little flowers with pearl centers. The second tier has stripes that were cut with a special ribbon cutter. The 3rd was dusted with Super Pearl Violet Dust, and then I added flowers, again with the pearl centers. The bottom tier has scroll work done in royal icing.
All the bows were made from gumpaste with the special ribbon cutter, and then I used a stitching tool to create an extra "seam" to make the look more real. I hand cut the tiara on top, and then made the jewels from hard candy that I dyed pink before pouring it into molds. Around the jewels are more sugar pearls. Lots of work, and I love it!

No comments:

© Butterfly Sweets. Powered by