Sunday, February 10, 2008

Barnyard Cakes


Welcome to the first post in my blog!

This was a great week for me. I had a client call about 2 weeks ago to tell me that her cake lady had canceled on her, and that she needed to find someone-quickly! She wanted a version of my zoo cake (which I have done dozens of), but she wanted it in a barnyard theme, with pigs, sheep, cows, etc. I was thrilled! I am always looking for fun new designs!

After searching the internet and collaborating together, we came up with her design where the bottom tier would be cow print, and the top a red bandana. I made brown "ropes" for the bottom of each tier, and she borrowed the design idea for the letters in her son's name from the cupcake cake. The letters were all handcut from gumpaste and decorated with black dots of frosting.

Since I hadn't made the farm animals before, it was a bit of experimentating involved for the sheep. I ended up having the pipe his wool with a small star tip, using royal icing.

Then on Monday, I had another client call who also needed a cake quickly, and she wanted the barnyard theme as well! So, for the first time I ever made this design, I got to do it twice in a weekend-how fun!

No comments:

© Butterfly Sweets. Powered by